Monday, November 17, 2008

Support Community Arts Programs

I am urging everyone to support the arts in their community. In Chicago land we're blessed with so many community theater productions and a plethora of community concert bands. Mrs. Sideline Pundit plays in one of those bands, so I'm certainly far more aware of the bands now than I was back in my single guy days.

Last night I went to one of Mrs. Sideline Pundit's concerts. She plays with the Palatine Concert Band. It was the band's fall concert and the highlight of the night was their performance of Johna de Meij's "The Lord of the Rings" symphony. The symphony, based on the novels by J.R.R. Tolkien (which happens to be my favorite story) is performed in five parts - Gandalf; Lothlorien; Gollum; Journey in the Dark and Hobbits.

What a wonderful performance it was. And for less than the cost of a movie ticket. I was happy to spend money to support the musical passions of friends and neighbors.

I encourage you all, whether here in Chicago land, or in another part of this great nation, to support these performances.

No comments: