Thursday, November 6, 2008

A note to my conservative friends - let's take the GOP back

Like me, many of you have been highly disappointed in the direction of the Republican Party over the past decade. It has abandoned its traditional tenets of limited government and individual liberty. Many of you, like me, walked away from the party that we rightly felt had abandoned us, the traditional conservatives.

But now is the time to return to the fold. Last night's election was in no small way a rejection of the current state of the Republican Party.

As my wife and I watched Obama give his victory speech, I noticed so many people in the crowd with tears in their eyes. My jaded heart couldn't really understand it, and my wife chided me saying I had no causes to be passionate about, like those people did. After sleeping on it, I realized she was correct. I'd lost my passion for politics because I was feeling like a jilted lover.

But today I am changing that. Since moving to Illinois, I am no longer restrained by journalistic ethics of becoming involved in party politics. As of this morning, I've contacted the county GOP to use my skills to rebuild the party and re-install the core values - limited government, fiscal responsibility and individual liberty - to the party. My backside is coming off the sidelines and I'm going to get back in the game. This blog is part of that effort. The Illinois GOP, like the GOP in my beloved North Carolina, is poorly organized and I believe I can make a difference and help restructure state and local politics. So my fellow disillusioned and jaded conservative friends, now is the time to act. I challenge each of you to get off the sidelines and work to make sure the values we hold aren't forgotten.

To steal the mantra of our president-elect, YES WE CAN

No comments: