Friday, December 19, 2008

Despite protestation of innocence, Blagojevich should step aside for the good of Illinois

Is Gov. Rod Blagojevich channeling Richard Nixon's I am not a crook address?

His comments this afternoon that he has done nothing wrong are astounding. Now I know that in this nation a man is innocent until proven guilty, but I think there's enough evidence that's been released by the U.S. Attorney's office for the citizenry to make a fair judgement about the man.

At a press conference this afternoon Blago said:

I'm here to tell you right off the bat that I am not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing, that I intend to stay on the job and I will fight this thing every step of the way. I will fight, I will fight, I will fight. Until I take my last breath. I have done nothing wrong. "And I'm not going to quit a job the people hired me to do, because of false accusations and a political lynch mob. Now that's what I'm going to do. Let me tell you what I'm not going to do. I'm not going to do what my accusers and political enemies have been doing. And that is talk about this case in 30 second sound bites on 'Meet the Press' or on the TV news. Now I'm dying to answer these charges, I am dying to show you how innocent I am. And I want to assure everyone who is here and everyone who's listening that I intend to answer every allegation that comes my way. However, I intend to answer them in the appropriate forum, in a court of law, and when I do, I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated.

Again, the man is innocent until proven guilty. But until he has his day in court, Blago should step aside from his now severely hamstrung position, and allow the Lt. Governor to step into temporary leadership. The people of the state of Illinois deserve no less than exceptional leadership during these difficult economic times. With Blago's strained relationships with House Speaker Michael Madigan, Attorney General Lisa Madigan and Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn, running the state will be next to impossible for the governor. The legislature will fight any initiative by the governor, and it's possible the governor will veto legislation that comes across his desk out of spite.

No comments: